On 3/22/2011 1:52 PM, Jonas Ulrich wrote:
I remember it taking about four days to rip a DVD (REALLY high quality rip) using HandBrake on a Dual 1GHZ MDD. I then ripped the same DVD on a 2.8GHZ P4 Hackintosh in one day. I will say that I have seen A LOT more hardware problems with the newer Macs, as oposed to the rock solid G4 towers.
-Jonas

Let me echo this. All of the PPC Macs I've had/used have been rock solid (except for the one UPS dropped), though I've not had a PPC laptop. My experience with Intel Macs has been decidedly mixed. My first Intel Mac was a 1st (or maybe 2nd) generation 15" Macbook Pro. No less than four trips to the Apple Store later (thankfully I bought Applecare) they finally got the overheating and GPU artifacts under control. My Aluminum iMac has been somewhat better, but still overheats unless I crank the fans to nearly full blast. The only trouble free Intel Mac I've had has been a Mac mini that was rock solid for the two and a half years I owned it.

Lately I've been hearing rumors that recent Macbook Pros overheat, perhaps caused by overzealous use of thermal paste. Anyone heard similar? If true, it seems that Apple is slow on the uptake when it comes to cooling.

Eric