On Apr 13, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Bruce - in Orlando wrote:

> I recently purchased a 12" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook on eBay (running OS
> 10.5.x).  The auction description said "the Airport Extreme card
> doesn't seem to be working correctly."  Once I received the laptop, I
> figured out that the problem is really that this powerbook has a very
> short wireless reception distance - such that when I first powered it
> on, sitting at my computer desk about 5 feet from the wireless router
> (linksys) it worked just fine.  But when I sat with the laptop on the
> other side of the same room, about 15 feet from the router, reception
> was only fair.  Take the laptop to the next room, about 25 feet from
> the router, and you're totally out of luck.
>
> So at first I thought the problem must be with the Airport card, so I
> bought another one - they aren't very expensive.  Now I find that the
> reception problem has not changed at all, so the card can't be the
> problem.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the real problem is?  I'm just hoping it's not
> on the motherboard, because they really are expensive.

There was one or more versions of the PowerBook that had problems with WiFi
range.  It was basically a design error (AFAIK).  Your model is from around
that period but I don't know specifics.  This means that you may never get
acceptable reception.

Make sure your router is using 802.11g, it tends to do better than 802.11b.

You could try a web search to dig up info from back when.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting