Sorry all about the HTML last message - this is from Sean2, where my mail settings are a little out of whack.

Having never messed with it, I don't know; can you move folders out of your home directory to elsewhere on the hard drive?

Yes. You can copy the FileVaulted stuff to the root level of the HD or partition. The caution I read was about saving the copies to the Desktop or in other words copying to where you're copying from.

You can with non-filevault users.

If it's just your home directory stuffed up, moving, say '/ Documents' out of your home directory might free up a lot of space.

You might get a warning about it not being encrypted...in fact you WANT this to be the case, because that means that files are coming out of the disk image.

i think that if it was encypted by FileVault, it stays that way no matter how you copy and move it. That's the rub. The 10.4 fix I mentioned seems to involve moving FileVault-encrypted stuff into a non- encrypted Home folder. Since you can't disable FileVault for the Home folder's new admin account when it wasn't even on to begin with, it seems to leave no choice but to change ownership/permissions so that the new replacement admin account even has "privileges" for its own stuff. Weird. WEIRD, i say.

Sean