On 2011/08/31 17:14, Bruce Johnson so eloquently wrote:
On Aug 31, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Alex Barnes wrote:

Once upon a time I took apart a 1 kW PSU to see what was inside.
I was zapped pretty well and the worst thing about it was that it
hurt like crazy. I did not need CPR or any help whatsoever.
Taking apart a PSU is not safe but it is not going to kill you if
you do get zapped.
Getting zapped THAT time did not kill you.

People get struck by lightning and live.  This does not mean getting
hit by lightning will not kill you.

If you insist on testing this hypothesis, hold up a long metal pole
in the middle of an open field during a thunderstorm long enough for
us to gather a statistically significant number of lightning
strikes....

Exactly.

You can probably do cocaine (not that I advocate doing so) and
live to tell the tale, but it killed a college athlete in seemingly good
health. His name was Len Bias, and he's dead.

Most people might survive the jolt most of the time, but that doesn't
mean that the next one won't kill you. Or someone else.

There is no hard & fast rule about what will kill you. Many people have
died doing things that seemed innocuous.

If you choose to take that chance, by all means go right ahead. But
telling other people that it *won't* kill them is ridiculous because you
have no way of knowing what might kill them.

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11
PB G4 15" HR-DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB VRAM 10.4.11