On Oct 8, 2011, at 4:40 PM, t...@nehaia.dk wrote:

> I have a lacie back up drive with 3 firewire ports on the back - 1 400 and
> 2 800
>
> it's connected to my old g3 tower running 9.2.2 on the 400 port, turns off
> and on with it, does a back up automatically on shut down - soooo nice
>
> well, over the years the house got populated with some more macs all
> running either 10.4 or 10.5, and at least two of them could do with more
> frequent back up too - and I'm wondering if I could just hook those two up
> to the drive as well?
>
> the manual for the drive mentions daisy-chaining and explains that I can
> attach "a device" to both 800 ports as well - small pics shows me how to,
> but the devices aren't other computers, and the manual doesn't really
> suggest that it's something to be done - doesn't advice against it either
> though

Attaching 2 or more computers to one drive won't physically hurt the firewire
interface but it may corrupt the drive.  Each computer will mount the drive and
there is nothing to keep them from writing contradictory directory information
to the disk.  So don't do it.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting