At 9:39 AM +0100 10/10/2011, Bruce Ryan wrote:
how does a TimeCapsule (or other drive used for TimeMachine) work? TCs aren't partitioned, and and it's quite possible for two or more macs to want to back up to them at the same time. I guess that part of the answer is that each mac has its own sparsebundle, so should only ever be accessing this single file that's specific to it. That would keep lumps of data 'protected' but what keeps the entire filesystem safe?

NAS boxes such as Time Capsule are actually complete computers, essentially mini servers, with file sharing etc, tuned for network / disk performance. Since they only have to do server type things, and not drive a GUI, their processors aren't the latest/greatest. Many boxes use PowerPC or older Intel processors, 500 to 800 MHz or so, sometimes a bit faster. I believe Apple's new TC has switched or is going to switch to an A4 or A5 -- Apple's implementation of an ARM Cortex, as used in iPad/iPhone.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.