Is this about the Apple Cinema Display, 1600x1024, DVI?
All Apple says is:
"For best results, allow the display to warm up for 30 minutes to
reach peak color quality. When displaying a large area of a single
color, the color might not appear uniform throughout the area.
This symptom can occur if the display has not warmed up."

If there's a real problem with the backlight, the power LED will
flash:
"Power light flashes amber in repeating sequence of two short flashes
and one long flash.
This symptom indicates a problem with the backlights."

With 17" displays, it often happens that one or more of the flyback
transformers fail, which results in the top or bottom half of the
screen being slightly darker, and the power light flashing as
described above.
I don't know how the backlights are positioned in your screen, but if
it's just one corner and the power LED is not flashing, I'd have to
guess: maybe the backlight itself is getting old.

I hope someone else in here can help you more...