On Oct 24, 2011, at 5:09 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

On Oct 22, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Oct 22, 2011, at 2:48 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

On Oct 18, 2011, at 8:11 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

What's the fastest method to create a 8GB video image from an SDHC card from a video camera using a G4 1.25 machine? Toast or disk Utility? Does processor speed matter? Does max ram help? What adaptors work best?

Do you mean a DVD? Or do you mean just copying the video file to disk?

I guess if I explain exactly what we're doing here with the creation of a disk image it may help. We need to quickly make disk images of some 8GB SDHC camera cards to be able to keep 8 cameras running continuously shooting training videos for a large retailer to be used as origination DVD's for their employees.

These images are then mounted on the desk top to be used in FCE to compile the finished DVD.. We get 30 mins of shooting on a card, a G4 1.25 Mac with a USB 2.0 port and a 2.0 SD card reader it takes 45 mins using "Disk Utility" or "Toast 8" to make the image so that we can then put that card back in service at that point. So we have a camera down for more than 15 mins. In contrast a TiBook 1 GHz with a 2.0 USB card using a SD card reader takes 1:45 mins to make the same image. An iMac i5 Quad does the job in 14 mins but we need to use a laptop on site due to the lugging factor.

I need a way to make the image faster, 8GB's even 14 mins seems excessive?? I have a MacBook Pro that I just got a CalDigit Express 34 USB 3.0 card for that I haven't had a chance to test yet. I also bought a LEXAR 3.0 SD card reader. I need to know if I'm on the right track or spinning my wheels.

Do you need the Disk images immediately? Or are you just trying to get the info off the cards to put the cards back into use?

Making a disk image does involve the processor and the rest of the system (from the ti book vs iMac speeds).

How about just doing a straight copy of the SDHC card into a folder, then making the image or importing the video later into FCP?

If this is for a large retailer, wouldn't the budget allow for a few more cards? Dealnews is showing class 10 cards at $10 for 8GB, $18 for 16GB and $32 for 32GB cards.