I'm going to not give you bad advice on this, but just a replay on similarities
between our situations.

Recently I purchased an mdd g4 dual 1.25(It's awesome, yet underpowered by
today's standards) and had 10.4.11 installed. Well I have an iphone 4 and
needed 10.5 for the newer iTunes so I could update it. I received my copy of
leopard installed and the machine took twenty tries to finally get installed
then it went into an infinite loop for the installer and would never boot into
leopard. I decided to just turn the computer off( since it was a project) and
put it away. One day decided to install slackintosh on this machine so I
decided to for gits and shiggles reset the pram and all the other things I've
read and restart it. Lo and behold this computer started booting onto Mac os x
( which I was confused since it didn't seem to ever completely finish
installing......) and bampf ta  daa a brand new fresh install of leopard was
staring me in the face. Cool? Totally. How does this relate? The same dang
thing happened when I  installed updates . So try it or don't, whatever.

Sent from my iPhone 4