On Nov 7, 2011, at 3:26 AM, Jeff Bequette wrote:

This may be out of our bailiwick on this list, but here goes:

DP 1.8 G5, running Leopard 10.5.8, 4 gigs ram, hardwired into the Airport extreme (saucer, model A1034)
an iPad 1
2 or 3 iphones (if daughter is home)
2 mac laptops (when both girls are home)
netflix via wireless (airport extreme) on the home entertainment system Hp 5-in-1 printer, which must be hardwired into the computer for scanning.
Cable modem

She who must be obeyed has expressed displeasure with the Airport Extremes performance, constant reboots and associated interruptions in movies and playing on the iPad.

Is there one that is better for a home system than others?
Anyone had good luck with refurbished units?
Limits: G5 does not have an airport card, so needs hardwire (currently ethernet) entry.
                $$

WEP 128 bit security? Should I assume WEP 256 is better? Or is WPA adequate?

Will updating into the n-bands have a large increase of speed for phones and laptops?

Speed alone shouldn't be an issue, 802.11g (Airport Extreme) is more than fast enough for basic Cable Internet and streaming video. But noise and range may be an issue and for those reasons 802.11n may be an advantage.

WEP 256 is not better as it doesn't exist. WPA is more than adequate, it's much better than WEP. It's easier to use and more secure than WEP.

Note that your AE problems may have nothing to do with the AE. I know that at home I have occasional Cable glitches, periods of a minute or two when there is no service. Also sometimes Netflix is in accessible for a short time while other Net locations are accessible.