> I'd like to know why my eSATA  card on my PM G5 dual 2.7 transfers
> files no faster than my F/W400 or F/W 800. Can it be the enclosure? I
> get the same results on my Mac Pro.

Which eSATA card?

The LaCie card and the very similar OWC card are based upon the Initio
chip set and that chip set is SATA I, only, although the drives could be
SATA I, SATA II or SATA III, assuming the drives are "well-behaved".

The Silicon Image 3132 card is also SATA I, only, although the drives also
could be SATA I, SATA II or SATA III.

There are a number of SATA II cards with either iSATA or eSATA, or with
both iSATA and eSATA (any combination of iSATA and/or eSATA, but only two
ports are available, using various jumper options, at a time).

There are a few SATA III cards and those, too, offer a manufacturer's
option of eSATA or iSATA, at the time of manufacture.

Modern SATA cards are adaptable to the drives being any combination of
SATA I, SATA II and SATA III, with the card's internal data rate being
limited to its design maximum, SATA I (1.5 Gb/s), SATA II (3 Gb/s) or SATA
III (6 Gb/s).

The options are greater for Intel-based Macks (and, of course, for Hacks).

Most cards have a maximum internal data rate (data from the drive _in_ to
the internal FIFO buffer and then _out_ from the internal FIFO buffer to
the host's bus) in the 40 MB/s range, but there are cards with higher and
lower performace.

The very old (at this point) Initio-based SATA I cards (LaCie and OWC) are
useful in PPC macs as their firmware supports booting the OS, even though
the card is fundamentally limited to SATA I.

For Hacks, the Highpoint Technologies RAIDRocket (or RocketRAID, I can't
keep that straight) 622 supports two eSATA ports (there IS a manufacturing
option of two iSATA ports, but I've never seen such a card) AND
additionally it supports "port multipliers" and RAID at SATA III speed
(the Silicon Image products generally support SATA I, although there IS a
new chip which purports to support SATA III). This 622 product is based
upon a new Marvell chip and is the first, or at least amongst the first,
to support eSATA at SATA III speeds.

Lots of options for Hacks ... not many options for Macks ... still fewer
options for PPC Macks.