On Jan 6, 2012, at 5:14 PM, David W. Morris wrote:

> I moved a hard drive from a 233MHz G3 iMac into one of the extra hdd spots in
> my G4 MDD and was surprised that it booted MacOS9.2.2 on such a different
> computer.
>
> I don't understand your statement below when you write "drop in the ROM and
> you're good to go."  I can understand dragging the system folder to a
> different drive, if the drive has been prepped to be a boot device (don't
> know what TDM stands for), but can you explain what you mean when you say
> "drop in the ROM"?

 The MDD FW400 model uses a different Mac OS ROM for 9.2.2 that's why the
install disks don't boot. So if you can get that ROM and put it in the system
folder it will boot. TDM means Target Disk Mode. Using a Fire Wire cable hooked
between two Macs you can mount the hard drive in your MDD to another already
booted machine by holding down the "t" key while booting the MDD.
Now you can drag the system and application folders to the MDD drive The Mac OS
ROM you need is     "10.2.1, Mac OS CPU Software 5.9" This only boots MDD FW
400's not FW800's it also will boot all Macs with OS9.2.2. It only came on the
original install disks of the MDD machines hence the lack on retail installers.

Sorry for the lack of info on the last post. :-)

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda CA
92886 USA
MacPro 2.66 Quad Nehalem