That's actually more common than you think. I have the official Apple
Internal "Intel Reserializer" tool. It is software that allows you to
change a serial number to match the one on the case if you had to swap the
Logic Board out.

-- Kyle Hansen

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! --Hunter S. Thompson