On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:55 PM, arichic...@gmail.com wrote:

Now, what it does NOT have is an Airport Extreme card installed. I
have one in my dead G4 iBook. Could I just swap it in?

It appears you could swap in the Airport Extreme card from your iBook, but...

You'd need to acquire an Airport G5 "T" antenna because without the little "T" antenna you won't have good reception. There was one listed on LEM-Swap for $12 recently. You might be able to improvise an alternative antenna to make due?

You'll only get 802.11g speed of 54mbps whereas if you bought any Broadcom chipset 802.11n PCI card which will recognize by OS X as Apple Airport you can get minimally 130mbps for single channel 802.11n or up to 300mbps if you get a dual-band card.

If you have to buy the "T" antenna, you might check out prices for Broadcom chipset 802.11n PCI cards which could be a better deal in the long run?

The price on your G5 is good, but get more RAM, and perhaps a better video card.