Il giorno 10-02-2012 23:01, arichic...@gmail.com ha scritto:

> Ok, so another mac has entered the picture, a MDD at the same price
> [$100] with these specs:
>
> G4 dual 1.25GHz processors
> 2GB PC2700 DDR RAM from Crucial
> 80GB IDE hard drive
> Pioneer DVD-R drive
> Zip 750MB removable drive
> NVIDIA GeForce Titanium 4600 128MB graphics card
> Airport Extreme wireless card [pci card running at extreme speed]
> i believe a usb 2 card will be tossed in the deal
>
> So which is the better deal?
Considering the computer itself, the G5 is of course the better.
Though the MDD was a fine Mac, it was noisy (with the standard fans) and
obviously way slower than a G5. You might check XBench for some numbers.

I had a G4 DA 1,4GHz (single proc), and now I'm using a G5 2,7 DP.
It's sensibly faster, included in web surfing. Speed can be needed when
accessing heavy  websites and watching videos.

Then you have to consider the components:
- Ram: G4 as 2GB, but today memory is cheap
- HD: G5 as a bigger HD (and now HDs are costly due to production problems
with Thailand flooding)
- Zip Drive: I'd say today is useless (unless you have a specific use for
it)
- Video card: the G4's Geforce Ti 4600 is a good card (was top of the line
in its time); the G5's standard Geforce FX 5200 is quite lousy but, unless
you do 3D gaming, could be adequate for your needs.

> i am concerned about the reliability of G5's, and the electrical usage.
AFAIK, realiability problems were mostly about the liquid cooling system;
the 1.8 GHz is air-cooled.
Power consumption could be around 50% more with the G5.

> Whatever I buy needs to last a while.
If you're looking for something to last, the G5 - again - is a better value.
Unless your needs don't demand much power / speed, then the G4 could be
fine.