On Feb 14, 2012, at 6:26 AM, Mark Langthorne wrote:

It is a Late 2005 Dual 2.3 G5 with 4.5GB ram. No Extra cards

By cuts out I mean it goes to sleep fine but soon as I hit a key to
wake it up the red light comes on for a second then there is a click
and the whole thing loses power, the fans don't even start spinning.

After the failed attempt of waking the Mac when I try to boot I get a
White and red light then click and off again no fans, so I unplug it
for about 3 minutes plug back in and it boots normally.

Have you reset the SMU? The SMU is the System Management Unit that replaces the PMU (Power Management Unit) of older Macs. This controls the power during sleep, and if it gets corrupted you can have problems like this. Here's instructions:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1436?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>

If that doesn't fix it, you're probably unlucky and the power supply dying. My dual 2.3 had a power supply blow in the first week of usage. It was a new-old-stock computer, and I started using it 2 years after the date of manufacture. There was a problem with the power supplies in many G5's, and there was an extended warranty program that expired in 2010, so you're too late for a free replacement now. Apple did give me a free replacement which would have cost nearly $1,000 total.

There was a guy on LEM-Swap selling three power supplies for a REALLY good price last week, but I'm guessing they're all gone now? <http://groups.google.com/group/lemswap/browse_thread/thread/c733ebfe5d50ddae?hl=en >