On Mar 1, 2012, at 11:36 PM, john wrote:

Hi, I'm quite satisfied with my Smurf, except for the video.  I just
replaced the 8mb card with a 32mb radeon.  Disappointed that youtube
videos are still spotty and halting.  Would 50 bucks for a 128 card
solve the problem?  I know upgrading the whole works might be
reasonably affordable, but kinda like the Smurf for the time being.
Oh, while I'm thinking of it, can someone tell me if 128 is the max
for It?

128 "what"? megabytes of video ram, 128 megabytes of ram? no matter what, the video is running thru the pci bus, which makes poor, although usable, video on those machines.. cool machine tho, bro. ive been looking for one for quite some time thats in good shape AND has the 450mhz processor. do you know what version of mac os or x you are using, and did you enable the pci-extreme hack? ive seen some bigger cards out for the pci bus, but all have to deal with the slow (66mhz/33mhz) pci bus. good luck man, sorry if i was no help. im sure you have heard this before, but running a more recent dp g4 or g5 is far more functional for videos, especially youtube. if you are running tiger, perhaps try mactubes and set mactubes to you use quicktime rendering instead of flash video rendering, which might make it more bearable, i do this on an mdd(although i can successfully watch videos on youtube.com) i think it makes my experience less cpu-intensive.

YMMV, fer sure.

jesse

Thanks, John

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml