On Apr 22, 2012, at 3:39 PM, geraldcornish wrote:
Current setup is Pismo 500MHz/1GB Ram/100GB HDD Tiger 10.4.11 & OS 9.2.2
Intention is to upgrade to Dual G4/G5 but keeping Tiger/Classic.

My better half needs to use Pagemaker in classic while using OSX simultaneously. Pagemaker uses up all the spare cpu cycles and slows down all other programs, and I assume this would still be the case with a faster Mac.

Depends on how PageMaker is written. If it's polling for user input continuously, then it will certainly always (try to) use some cpu time, not a lot %-wise if you have lots to spare.

Seems odd to me that PageMaker would be continuously piggy. Have you watched the system with Activity Monitor, to see what resources are actually in such low demand that the whole system runs slowly?

 > if we move to a dual G4/G5 how does Tiger handle the two cpus?

OS X (and OS 9) supports multiple processors (discrete, multi core, threads) two ways. First: when a process or thread is ready for cpu time, it is dispatched to one of the CPU/cores. Second: if the application knows how to use non-sequential threads, then the threads are dispatched the same way - to whichever CPU/core has time available.

Will it assign classic/pagemaker to one cpu only, leaving the other cpu to do any OSX work needed?

No. Under OS X, scheduling is done preemptively, as resources are available. That means a process is given a quantum time slice on a CPU/core, and the CPU is taken away when the slice ends or when the process becomes otherwise blocked (waiting for i/o, etc). Classic is a process under OS X... so when its slice ends, the app running within Classic is suspended. When the next slice is available to that process, it is re-assigned to a CPU/core... Of course, if the process is still "loaded" in one particular CPU/core, then assignment preference is given to using that particular CPU/core.

This would be ideal for us if one cpu is kept free of the Pagemaker loading.

You need to think of the OS being the high muckety, not the CPU. The CPU, like memory, is *just* a resource that the OS controls / manages.

See John's reply wrt machine choice and bootability.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.