At 8:25 AM -0700 5/23/2012, t...@io.com wrote:
In the list of devices connected to my router and assigned IP
addresses, everything shows up as I would expect, except a G4 MDD
(10.4.11) and an 800 MHz G4 ILamp (10.2.8).

For those two machines the router displays something like unknown_<MAC
address> without the <> for the Device Name.

In the Sharing system preferences, be sure you've set the machine name.

Then you'll need to get those machines off the network, and delete their entries in the router's dhcp table. That way when next the router sees the machines, they'll be registered under their proper names.

I tried entering the machine names into the optional DHCP name box
(forgot exactly what it's called) in the System Prefs/Networking/
Ethernet/DHCP window, but that had no effect, other than, when I
clicked "Apply Now" it caused the computer to release its current IP
and obtain a new one.

The DHCP name box is simply a keyword used to get a specific assignment from the DHCP server. In some DHCP servers, it overrides the entry keyed by the MAC.

My old System 9.1 machine shows up in the router list under its
machine  name, even.   It's just these two OSX Macs that don't.

If the names were set properly - from the beginning - then the DHCP server must have glitched when it saw the machines originally.

Now that I'm at work and where I can test it, the only thing I can
think of is that the two Macs in question have space characters in
their machine names.  Do routers reject machine names if they have
spaces in them, or is something else going on here?

Some do. Best to keep the name simple. "dans-quicksilver" for example. That way the name works properly with dns too.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.