On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 05:33:10PM -0700, Bruce Johnson wrote:
> Migration assistant is pretty smart and won't move things over that'll mess
> up the system and handles dissimilar system version well.

Will it do well going from PPC to Intel?  That's one migration, oddly, I've
never done.  I've always been PPC-->PPC, but when I (finally) bit the Intel
bullet, I did a clean install on a new machine.  Same for when I got my new Pro
in January.  I'd like to just get her on a Intel machine as they're within 20%
of the price of a PPC, and we all know the performance jump/software
compatibility they increase.

I'm pretty sure software-wise we'll be fine thanks to Rosetta, but just don't
want to get a "gotcha".  I'm specifically looking at Al Intel iMacs with Tiger
or Leopard on them.  I'd use migration assistant to get her going, and then
make sure she's at least on 10.5.8, eventually move her to Snow Leopard once
all the software has been upgraded.

Ben