On Jul 3, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

I'd actually encourage Snow Leopard on Intel Macs (those that can still run it, thanks, Apple). It is noticeably faster than 10.5, it doesn't add any new disadvantages, and it has much better software compatibility -- for example, advance info states Firefox will stop supporting 10.5 around
version 17, and Chrome will stop supporting 10.5 with version 22.

Furthermore, Leopard only received a single token software update since 10.7 came out, and while Snow Leopard will be unsupported when 10.8 comes
out, it still gets security updates.

Apple should be fined for creating so much industrial trash and hazardous waste, when they discontinue support for hardware that still runs perfectly well. I hate legal bloat, but I would be in favor of legislation which would require manufacturers to support their hardware for longer periods of time, more equal to the length of time that the hardware is actually expected to remain running before most of it fails. 20 to 25 years would be a nice round figure. Apple has proven that they can continue to support old hardware through a transition from one architecture to a different architecture when they moved from Motorola 680x0 to PPC, and again when they moved from PPC to Intel.

David W. Morris
aka AmigaDave
Want to run an OS that is still being actively developed for your G4 Mac computers? Check out MorphOS3.0 with support for 1.67GHz G4 PowerBooks just added, plus many more G4 Mac models already supported.