On Jul 22, 2012, at 6:35 AM, Koralatov wrote:

> I'm finally thinking about reviving my dead Key Lime iBook, which suffered
> a hard-disk failure some time ago.  Since it'll mostly be used for mucking
> around in Terminal, disk capacity isn't particularly important, but speed
> is -- I've become used to a C2D MBP, so I want to give it as much nip as
> possible.
>
> I've been looking into relatively cheap PATA/IDE SSDs on eBay, but
> I'm not sure whether they'll be faster than a regular spinning disk.
>
> I'm quite interested in this one: <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190705077160>.
>
> The specs are:
>
>> Performance
>>     Capacity(GB)          16 GB (4C)
>>     Sustained Read        88 MB/S
>>     Sustained Write       35 MB/S
>
> How does that stack up to a spinning disk over the iBook's EIDE interface?
> I've done some googling but can't seem to get a firm answer.

Since Apple traditionally installs crappy hard drives, just an upgrade to a
7,200 rpm drive will almost be magical in improvement.

I had a G3 466 Mhz with maxed memory and an 80MB 7,200 rpm drive and effective
disk speed was easily doubled.

The big problem is that the HD is about the last component you get to when
disassembling the laptop...

JT