Kris:

My understanding is that the "tape on pins 3 &11 issue" applies to PC
versions of the 9800 card flashed over to Mac, not to *original* Mac
edition cards. This is an original Mac edition card.

Cards that have the pin issue will cause the machine to not power up *at all
* if the pins are not covered. My machine will power up with the card
installed. The problem is on restarts, or a power up after a shutdown
(unless you unplug and replug the machine).

Furthermore, the flashing red molex graphic indicates that the card is
somehow not getting power, or it thinks it isn't.

I may, if I can't get anywhere in another way, try the pin thing. But I
don't think that's the problem.

Thanks,

Rob J.