> > > What's the chance that the following (basically, deep clean the
> > > machine) might solve the high temperature problem?
> >
> > It's what I would do next. Also reapply the thermal paste, and then
> > run ASD thermal calibration to make sure it's properly reset.
> >

> I'm sorry this hasn't been stressed enough.  Coolant leakage and low
> coolant is a common problem with these systems.  This is STRONGLY
> indicated by the temperature readings on one CPU and by the
> temperature at shutdown.  One CPU reading is FAR too hot, the other is
> far too cool.  Something is definitely wrong with the cooling system
> or the temperature diodes.

The quad G5 has a much lower rate of LCS failure or compromise than other
liquid cooled G5s. If it were, say, a dual 2.5 like my folks', I agree
I'd check the LCS first. But on this quad, I'd do the clean-up and thermal
paste renewal first because you'll have to do it anyway, and it's more likely
to be the issue. For relative failure rates, see this handy table:

        http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/pmg5.html

Of the three quad G5s I have personally owned, none of them had an LCS issue.
The one that's "dead" fried its logic board for some other reason, and the
other two are still going strong.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- My Pink Floyd code: v1.2a s BO 1/0/pw tinG 0? 0 Relics 2 8 <6mar98> --------