----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: G5 Quad Core Shaken Up in Transport
Date:    Sunday, 06. January 2013
From:    Bill Connelly <billycarmac...@verizon.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> Wish I felt comfortable trying reseating the cpu with new thermal
> paste ... given the chance - I wouldn't mind trying.

At least opening it up and looking would not harm, maybe.

> But I am sending it back for a refund.

In this case I wouldn’t open it up. Going for a refund is propably the safest
way…

> It's a bit over my level of
> "expertise" gained by changing a mobo in my QS 2002 Dual 1GHz a few
> years ago ... now my cpu needs changing, if I could find one ...

Didn’t you find a replacement processor module? There are always a couple of
them floating around on eBay…

> Money is also a factor ... I had to borrow the funds thinking I didn't
> want to miss such a good deal ... it was worth a try. although I paid
> too much for it.

If money is a factor, fast G4s and even faster G5s are the cheapest OS X
machines you can buy.

You should keep looking for either a G4 MDD/FW800 (I prefer the MDD as it can
still boot into Mac OS 9.2.2 natively) or a replacement processor module for
you QS.

If you find a good deal for a G5 again: make your bet!

> A friend just suggested I consider a 1st or 2nd generation Mac Pro. I
> just might take him up on the idea ... and try moving my software into
> the Intel world, 1 expensive chunk at a time. Then I could keep up
> with the later generation OS Xs, if I wanted to, and have a cooler
> running machine.

I wouldn’t suggest this. I’ve been thinking about it also, but there this
issue with those Mac Pros that I don’t like at all:

---------- everymac.com -----------
Maximum MacOS: 10.7.x*
*This system can run the last version of OS X 10.7 "Lion" if upgraded to at
least 2 GB of RAM. However, although it has a 64-bit processor, it has a 32-
bit EFI and cannot boot in 64-bit mode. It also does not support "OpenCL"
running the default video card or the other build-to-order video cards that
were offered via custom configuration. Please also note that OS X Lion is not
capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor
as it does not support the "Rosetta" environment.
---------- everymac.com -----------

The first two series lack the 64-bit EFI, which prevents them from running in
64-bit, which prevents them from OpenCL, and which ultimately prevents them
from being upgradable to OS X 10.8.

If you go for a Mac Pro, go for a 2008 series or later. Check everymac.com
before you buy:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/index-macpro.html

The other problem: You may also want to be able to run Mac OS X 10.6 as it is
the last to provide Rosetta. With Rosetta you can run PowerPC Mac OS X
applications on an Intel Mac.

In any case, I’d keep a G4 around for Classic…

I know that’s not something that people like to hear, but to me it is just a
way to get around the mess Apple left when they went the Mac Pro route: build
your own Mac Pro /aka/ Hackintosh. If you do it right, you’ll have the Mac Pro
that Apple should have made!

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250