On Feb 15, 2013, at 12:55 PM, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

>>> On Feb 15, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Dan Stobbs <autolycus.mercat...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's the Wikipaedia definition of both terms.
>>>   "Jury rigging refers to makeshift repairs or temporary contrivances, made
>>> with only the tools and materials that happen to be on hand. Originally a
>>> nautical term, on sailing ships a jury rig is a replacement mast and yards
>>> improvised in case of damage or loss of the original mast. When more
>>> permanence is meant by the term, such a build may be referred to as jerry
>>> rigged."
>
>> On Feb 15, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Got it! "Jury Rigged" == "Duct Tape"
>>      "Jerry Rigged" ==" Duct tape AND a hose clamp"
>
> I'm not sure I see the logic of these? I never heard the nautical reference
> at all, and don't see its etymology?
>
> I thought "jury rigged" was like a court jury that was rigged for an
> acquittal of the defendant. This is something risky because it's illegal and
> if it goes wrong it blows up in your face.

Well, Random House agrees with the nautical derivation of the
term:<http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19960711>

Jerry-rigged seems to be a mashup of 'Jerry-built' an English slang-term from
the late 1800's meaning 'of shoddy construction' and jury-rig.

<http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/9245>

None of this has anything to do with '12 good men and true' OR germans...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---