> I put my G5 tower in storage for 7 months while I was away. I'm back now
> and when I attempted to power on the machine, it is dead as a doorstop. No
> power LED, no fan spinning - absolutely dead. I tried different power
> cables, confirmed wall power receptacle is good, still no go. BTW the
> machine had absolutely no issues prior to storage. Please help.

The 3.6 volt lithium battery which is used to retain the contents of the
CMOS over time may have run out of life.

It is a special lithium battery which is trickle-charged by the machine's
PSU when it is not in use.

If stored away for a long time, without being plugged into the wall, the
self-resistance of the battery will cause it to drain down towards zero.
The machine will seldom start with a drained-down battery.

Also, the cell is nominally 3.6 volts (nameplate), but it is usually 3.68
volts, when new, and it retains voltage that for quite a long time.

Such batteries are considered "dead" when the voltage reaches 3.2 volts,
but many machines will still work properly, although not with 100 percent
reliability, when the battery reaches 3.0 volts. Below 3.0 volts should be
considered "really and truly dead".

Every battery company seems to make these 1/2 AA lithium batteries.

You can get them for $5 or so at Radio Shack.

Good "pulls", from used Macs, at electronics recyclers, can also give a
decent battery for about $1.

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.