> OK, so I have finally accepted that my eMac has outlived it's usefulness and
> needs to be retired. My question is what to replace it with?
Knowing your budget would help to target our suggestions.

> Cost is a big consideration, so I am probably limited to a core 2 duo iMac or
> Mac Mini.
I would advice for an iMac.
Where I live (Italy), used Mac Minis are way too expensive, while I found
lots of valid iMacs at reasonable prices. YMMV.

I got a 2009 3 GHz 24" iMac. And I love every bit of it. :-)
The screen is gorgeous, the design is sleek, the noise is almost
non-existent, the power is abundant (Adobe CS3 and 3D games go smoothly),
and power consumption is surprisingly low.

If you already have a good screen, the Mini could be an option, but since
you have an eMac, the iMac seems the best way to go.

> Unfortunately my entire Adobe collection of software will still be
> expecting a PPC to drive it, so I understand I will need an Intel machine
> which has access to Rosetta
On my iMac I installed 10.6 Snow Leopard, because:
- I have PPC software too (and it runs beautifully here)
- I dislike latest, iOS-like OSX versions and their interface.

I never feel the lacking of a newer OS.

> Additionally, many of my peripherals are FireWire 400
Up until Mid-2011 models, any iMac had at least 1 Firewire port.
Even if it's 800, you just need an 800-400 cable to hook up your
peripherals.

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.