Thanks for the advice.  I may bring the installer discs and give it a try,
even as an experiment.  I can't imagine getting rid of a computer with
personal info. on it, but it sounds like it's fairly common.  Maybe I could
get them to reduce the price since it doesn't have the power cord.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Bruce Johnson
<john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2013, at 3:49 PM, mkehoe <mirake...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all -
> >
> > I still have an iBook G4   PowerBook 6.5 with airport;  running 10.4.11
> >

> > Any ideas on how to get past the password page to see if it has airport,
> etc.?  I was thinking of buying it for parts.  It's on sale until Sunday at
> 4pm, and so far no one has bid on it.
>
> Take a 10.4 installer disk with you to the store, boot from it and change
> the admin password. Actually you might be able to run 'About this mac' or
> system info from the installer menu; it's been a long time since I used
> 10.4 on anything.
>
> If it boots up to a visible screen, then it's not immediately suffering
> from the common G4 iBook fault which is a bad video. A quick perusal of
> Ebay offerings indicates that it's about $10 cheaper than most, but they
> come with power bricks. I'd think it was worth it if it's on otherwise good
> shape.
>
> And since it has someone's old password on it, hey there might be
> blackmail material on the hard drive 8-P
>
> People get rid of computers with all sorts of info on them…someone I
> worked with picked up a nice Duo at the university's surplus auction that
> had 4 or 5 years worth of some faculty member's tax returns, and another
> time I picked up a Mac literally out of the garbage that had the previous
> owner's complete divorce papers, some tax returns and a bunch of other
> stuff. Wiped both systems of course, since I'm not the blackmail kinda guy.
>
> The one I found in the garbage was used as my web server, (named Oscar for
> obvious reasons) for many years.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs
>

> --
> --
>
> ---
> Google Groups "G-Group" group.