Feature Requests item #1664242, was opened at 2007-02-20 06:23
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by rlaager
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1664242&group_id=235

Category: oscar
Group: None

Initial Comment:
There is a flaw in ICQ protocol implementation: one of ICQ bugs is not handled
correctly in non-win32 versions of gaim.

Because of windoze has 3 charsets for each locale (Unicode, ANSI, OEM), all
text sent thru ICQ protocol, which not marked/known as unicode, actually are in
ANSI charset.
But non-win32 gaim versions doesn't event know about it. So those texts are
mapped to first 255 chars in system encoding (UTF-8 in my case). There is a
known workaround for this: run gaim like this "LOCALE=cp1251 && gaim".

Best solution is to add parameter specially for ICQ protocol for non-win32
versions 'ANSI charset', so user could select it manually.