Feature Requests item #1631111, was opened at 2007-01-08 22:15
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by linuxwhore
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1631111&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Feature request:

I tend to have IRC and IM buddies for people, grouped together under a single
contact with a single Alias. But with an alias applied to an IRC contact, then
in an IRC channel you get:

abc:
horsey:
abc:
DaFunk:
abc:
abc:
John Smith:
abc:
abc:

which looks a bit stange.

... and if you go to tab complete, it shows "John Smith" not "js" which might
be the real nick. So you have to remember not to do

John Smith: Hey dude, what's up?

and remember what that person's nick is so that you send

js: Hey dude, what's up?

so that _his_ IRC client will dingle or whatever and recognize that a message
was sent to him.

I realize it would go against the use of aliases elsewhere, but I think it
would be less jarring if, in IRC channels, nicks were not converted to aliases.
Recognizing full well the tendency to reduce preferences, it would be really
cool if this was something you could alter in the IRC protocol tab.

AfC

Comment By: John Holmstadt (linuxwhore)