Feature Requests item #1061178, was opened at 2004-11-05 15:57
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1061178&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
Gaim 1.0.2 on gentoo linux-

Gaim now allows setting of the encoding of the chat in
ICQ, however, the setting is global to all the buddies
(it is done via the accounts setting).

As many ICQ clients use different encodings for Hebrew
(mainly Windows-1255, utf-8 and utf-16), regardless of
what is chosen in the account settings, some buddies
will have truble communicating with you.

The solution would be to allow setting the encoding per
buddy, and not globally for the ICQ account.