Feature Requests item #1515942, was opened at 2006-07-02 14:09
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1515942&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
Particularly for people who only use Gaim with a single
service, the icons on the buddylist to the left of
names are unnecessary aside from indicating status. I
think the ability to replace those icons with the
respective buddy icons instead of having the buddy
icons floating off to the right and maybe overlay
status icons; for example, for AIM, the recognizeable
yellow paper to indicate away, perhaps the cellphone
icon, and maybe an 'idle' icon since not all buddy
icons will look different when grayscaled.

Of course, I'm only recommending this change to be made
for people who choose to have buddy icons shown on the
buddy list.

If this needs more clarification or if you are
interested in this but don't have the manpower to do
this, I may be able to help-- I've been wanting to get
involved with Gaim development for a while, and this
seems like it could be a useful place to start.

I attached an image to clarify more or less; The
missing Help menu is actually just hidden from the
width, but you can do that currently. And yes, that's
Beta 2 or Beta 3 and I have windows skinned using the
uxtheme hack.