Feature Requests item #962497, was opened at 2004-05-28 18:52
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=962497&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Gaim deals with this well compared to YMessenger, but
eventually it gets to it. I'm talking about the various booters
lurking around Yahoo in particular, using a script to send
requests to join a conference, add to your buddy list or just as
many IM's as their system can in order to boot you off the
service, its really annoying.

Handling the IM flood might be a problem, some people just
send short, quick messages in rapid succession, so it would
have to be somewhat adaptive or intelligent to know what's a
legitimate message, and what's a flood, though no one sends
messages that fast.

As far as the invitations go, there's no need to have more then
one valid from each user at a time. I believe Gaim should
accept one, then discard all others from that user until that one
has been dealt with, and then wait a period of time, say 30s or
a minute before accepting the same invite from them again.

Yahoo seems unwilling to deal with this problem on their own
network, so we have to look to a better client.

Comment By: Luke Schierer (lschiere)