Feature Requests item #942695, was opened at 2004-04-26 19:18
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=942695&group_id=235

Category: msn

Initial Comment:
Hello,

MSN Messenger has this odd behaviour :
 * it gets proxy info from IE (fine with me)
 * when attempting to conect via HTTP or SSL it uses
the corresponding proxy entry, if any
 * when attempting to connect using port 1863, it uses
the SOCKS entry, if any.

So if no SOCKS proxy is configured but a SSL one is, it
connects directly to the remote host on port 1863 but
uses the proxy for SSL authentification.

I happen to be on a network where SSL must be proxied
and that allows direct connections to port 1863. The
result is that Gaim never works :
 * it doesn't work if set not to use a proxy because
the SSL connection fails
 * it doesn't work if set to use a HTTP proxy because
the CONNECT tunnel to port 1863 fails

I wanted to add an option (GaimOption) to the
configuration (labelled "MSN Messenger Compatibility
Mode"). I couldn't do this since I need the global
proxy.c module to be aware about such special cases.
Does someone see a nice method to implement this ?

For the time being I am pretty happy with my own
customized version, but I think making this option
public is a good idea.

FYI my patch to proxy.c follows :
in connection_host_resolved() :
/* CNS: treat connections to MSN as direct connections */
switch
(phb->port==1863?GAIM_PROXY_NONE:gaim_proxy_info_get_type(phb->gpi))

in gaim_proxy_connect () :

--
cns