Feature Requests item #880267, was opened at 2004-01-19 19:16
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=880267&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
Msg notification doesn't get triggered when someone who
you don't have a current conversation tab with msgs you.

This is because the notification handlers attach
themselves to the conversation tab, which gets created
just after plugins are told about the msg (so they can
suppress it or whatever).

In other words the sequence of events is:

1. send msg to plugins, checking their return code to
see if they're suppressing it.

2. create conversation window if it doesn't exist.
  2a. notification plugin attaches to the new
conversation window so it knows about any msgs.
However the msg that triggered creation of this window
has already been sent, so notification never happens.

I sent a patch to the mailing list about this back
around gaim 0.71, which was rejected due it possibly
breaking other things.  However this is really
important - notification is not very useful if it's not
reliable about whether someone has msg'ed you.