Feature Requests item #1030968, was opened at 2004-09-19 22:19
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1030968&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
At present (gaim 1.0.0) gaim displays a dialog box
on-screen for each incoming file transfer request (and
for incoming direct connections in AIM) - I find these
a complete nuisance, they appear whilst I am typing and
as I hit the space bar they disappear before I can even
read them.

Macintosh ICQ has a nifty solution where incoming
transfers are signalled by a flashing file icon in the
corner of the conversation window, which you can
double-click to accept or, I assume, deny the transfer.

I'm proposing that Gaim offer the same, where a
double-click on said icon brings up a transfer confirm
window.

This might be a bit cumbersome, so it might be nice to
have the file save dialog appear immediately, where
cancel aborts the transfer request (with the buttons
labelled accordingly if GTK supports this). Maybe
instead, a right-click menu for the icon with:

Deny transfer
Save file as...
Accept transfer

(items listed in descending order of safety in case you
click the top item by mistake, the last one could be
optional, and would download straight to a
predesignated folder which in my case would be ~\My
Documents\My Downloads\, I hate being bothered with
annoying save dialogs that default to gaim's bin
directory, the last place I am going to want to store
incoming files)

In fact, I'd recommend gaim never pop up *any* dialog
because they too easily get dismissed with space bar
before I can read them which really defeats their
objective. In Windows, I'd prefer a backgroud window
with a flashing taskbar button so I know to click - I
do not know how well this would translate to any other
UI, like KDE or Windowmaker.