Feature Requests item #1020805, was opened at 2004-09-01 19:07
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1020805&group_id=235

Category: gtk-ui

Initial Comment:
One feature I loved in Trillian but is absent in Gaim
is the ability to play notification sounds when you
receive an IM in a window which is not in focus.
Currently, Gaim's only options are to either *always*
play the sound (which is annoying - if I've got the
window up talking to someone, I can see when they send
me a message, I don't need to hear it), or to play the
sound *only* on the first message (which is handy).

It would be very convenient to have the option to also
play sounds when you receive an IM in a window which is
not in focus; that way, if I'm actively talking to
someone, I don't hear a chorus of annoying sounds, but
if I have their window minimized or behind something
and they send me a message, I'll get the sound to let
me know.