Feature Requests item #913959, was opened at 2004-03-11 03:39
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=913959&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
Related to bug 790651, but not really the same thing.

I'd like to request the capability of ignoring groups.  A checkbox
in the Buddy List preferences menu that made gaim ignore all the
groups and sort everything like it was in one group would be
very useful.

I can't seem to move contacts out of my Yahoo folders into my
General folder, where I keep everyone else.  The above would
make it so that I wouldn't really have to.

Another approach might be to implement virtual groups.  Ignore
groups on the server's side, neither reading from nor writing to
them (except to add and remove users), but rather put
everything into lists local to gaim.  That would allow disorganized
folk like me to finally dump everything into a general group and
remove the other empty groups.