-----Original Message-----
From: Julia Tavares [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 10:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: INSTRAW activities on gender aspects of ageing

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, as part of its activities on Gender Aspects of Ageing, INSTRAW
has organized an electronic forum on Gender Aspects of Violence and Abuse of
Older Persons which will take place on 15-26 April 2002 through a listserv.
If you are interested in participating, please register soon so that you may
receive the background paper and other materials that will serve to
stimulate the discussion before the discussion begins.  You may register by
sending an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word subscribe
on the subject line.  You do not need to write anything else on the body of
the message.  In this way, you will get an automatic reply and welcome
letter.

In view of the interest that has been shown in the discussion forum on
violence and abuse, we are thinking of organizing another discussion forum
towards the end of April on the topic of Volunteer/unpaid Work of Older
Women, which would be moderated by Nancy Lewis and Jeanne Smith of the NGO
SubCommittee on Older Women of the NGO Committee on the Status of Women.
We would like to know if there would be interest in such a forum on the part
of our GAINS network members. If so, please drop a note to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or the GAINSNet expressing your interest.

Finally, I would like to announce that the Bulletin Board is now operating
and you can enter comments, information, experiences and concerns on the
ageing dimension of the 12 critical areas of concern of the Beijing Platform
for Action.  You do not need to register for this.  You just go into the
webpage http://un-instraw.org/discus/messages/38/38.html and enter your
comments.   These comments will be synthesized and used by INSTRAW and the
NGO Subcommitte on Older Women for the consideration at policy making forums
within and outside of the United Nations.

We do hope that you will participate in these activities.  Your views and
experiences will no doubt enrich the discussions and stimulate policy
considerations aimed at redressing the invisibility and marginality of older
women.

Regards,
Julia Tavares