Hi Yan,

I've again moved this back to the galaxy-dev list.  Please reply to this
list and not galaxy-user.

Yan Luo wrote:
> Dear Nate,
>
> Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate, it is very important for us to
> use it. We have problem recently.
>
> (1) In fact, I can't find the file "paster.log". The problem is that
> recently we expanded our gluster(Linux sever) and did the rebalance that has
> some bugs. Some of files permission have been changed. So we can't use
> User/register righr now, when we tried, we got the sever error, do you have
> any idea how to fix it? (we can change the ownships/read and write
> permission for some files manually, but we don't know which files and where
> they are?)

If you are executing run.sh without the --daemon flag, the output will
go to whatever terminal window you started Galaxy in, not to a file.

You'll want to make sure that all of the files under Galaxy's root
directory are owned by a single user, which is the same user which
starts and runs the Galaxy process.

> (2) We want to reboot the Galaxy,  should we first stop and start as
> follows?
> $ sh run.sh --stop
> $ sh run.sh

The full command to stop would be `sh run.sh --stop-daemon`, but that
only applies if you originally started Galaxy with `run.sh --daemon`.

> Is there any difference if I use "-daemon" flag? Last times, my colleague
> started using "./run.sh". How to stop it?
> If "$ sh run.sh --stop" doesn't work (I didn't try yet, ), how can I find
> the process (Linux) that is running by Galaxy and kill it?

The --daemon flag runs Galaxy in the background and redirects its output
to paster.log.  Without the --daemon flag, the process stays connected
to the terminal in which you start it.

Since Galaxy wasn't originally started with the --daemon flag, you'll
need to find the process, either by locating the terminal window in
which it was started (possibly by your colleague) and then hitting
Ctrl-C, or by using the `ps` command (e.g.  `ps auxwww | grep python`)
and killing the Galaxy process.  It usually looks something like:

nate   18213  0.9  0.4 438844 146260 pts/7   Sl+  10:47   2:30 python
./scripts/paster.py serve universe_wsgi.ini

So you would do:

% kill 18213

> (3) Could you please let me know if there is a default administrator
> user/password for galaxy. I want to add an administrator user, how can I do
> that?
> According to the instruction, I will change a line of "universe_wsgi.ini" as
> follows. How can I set/get my password?
> admin_users = yan....@email.com

There is no default.  Any users set in admin_uesrs will be
administrators.  If the account specified in admin_users does not yet
exist, you can simply create it.  Once created, that account will be an
administrator.

> (4) I found our "universe_wsgi.ini" contains the following setting, should I
> remove "#" before this line,  stop and start galaxy?
> #allow_user_creation = True

No, True is the default setting so with it commented it is still set to
True.

> I plan to restart our galaxy, if it is possible, could you please let me
> know your phone #? I can call you sometime today, or if you prefer, I can
> give you my phone #.

Unfortunately, we don't have the resources for phone support.  We'll be
happy to help via email as much as possible.

--nate