I get it now!!

I did my Rename Dataset/output_file with a variable ${input}.

I chose that because I thought that would give me the name of the input file to
that module, which I'm looking to carry on through out the run of my workflow
(though actually I'd like the file name minus the file extension, but that's
another problem).

When I did this, I ended up with a field "Input" at the top of my workflow form
when I went to run it.  I typed a value in and sure enough, all my output files
now contained what I typed into the field.

So, this is certainly useful, but the question I have, and I believe it's what
Matthew is getting at too is:

Is there anyway to access the value of fields that are part of the workflow.
Taking the "Input Dataset" example, that is an input file that goes into my
next module.  I'd like to grab the name of that input file, and then append it
with a new extension.  So if the module is grooming fastq, I'd like to grab my
file name that is given to the fastq groomer, and append ".fastqsanger" to it,
and have that be my output file name.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Dave