Hi,

We have a galaxy server setup using external shibboleth authentication. While
we would like to have site behind authentication realm, there are instances
when our galaxy datasets/histories need to be accessible publicly from other
websites. We tried adding an exception to auth rule for /datasets  path using
Location directive in apache web server configuration, however galaxy server
returned an error as:

{{{
Access to Galaxy is denied
Galaxy is configured to authenticate users via an external method (such as HTTP
authentication in Apache), but a username was not provided by the upstream
(proxy) server. This is generally due to a misconfiguration in the upstream
server.
}}}

Is there any way to share public histories and datasets when galaxy is using
external authentication mechanism? I have thought about setting up (fake)
anonymous REMOTE_USER variable for /datasets path, but  not sure whether this
is correct approach. Also, would it require any galaxy code changes? Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Shantanu.