Thanks every one. I am in Bethesda for a conference at the moment, but I
will try your suggestions when I get back home.

Gus

Sent from my HTC EVO. Please forgive any typos and/or brevity of my reply.

--------------+----------+----------+------------+------------+-----------------------
>> galaxy | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.utf8 | en_US.utf8 | =Tc/postgres
>> :
>> postgres=CTc/postgres
>> :
>> galaxy=CTc/postgres
>> postgres | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.utf8 | en_US.utf8 |
>> template0 | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.utf8 | en_US.utf8 | =c/postgres
>> :
>> postgres=CTc/postgres
>> template1 | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.utf8 | en_US.utf8 | =c/postgres
>> :
>> postgres=CTc/postgres
>> zabbix_proxy | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.utf8 | en_US.utf8 |
>> (5 rows)
>>

>> I created a PGDATA file at /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/PGDATA and export
>> PGDATA envar upon loading of the galaxy user's .bashrc pointing to this
>> place. I am able to start and stop the server with the postgres user
using
>> pg_ctl. Once its running, I change users back to galaxy and try to run
>> run.sh and get the following traceback:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File

"/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/eggs/SQLAlchemy-0.5.6_dev_r6498-py2.6.egg/sqlalchemy/engine/strategies.py",
>> line 80, in connect
>> raise exc.DBAPIError.instance(None, None, e)
>> OperationalError: (OperationalError) could not connect to server: No such
>> file or directory
>> Is the server running locally and accepting
>> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>> None None
>
> Hi Gus,
>
> The version of PostgreSQL bundled with Debian and its derivatives
> (including Ubuntu) places the UNIX socket used by local processes for
> communication with PostgreSQL in /var/run/postgresql. You can instruct
> Galaxy to look here with the following database_connection string in
> universe_wsgi.ini:
>
> postgres:///galaxy?host=/var/run/postgresql
>
> Also, unless I'm missing something, it looks like your galaxy role would
> not have permissions o nthat database (perms are only assigned to the
> postgres role). The easiest fix would be to make galaxy the owner of
> the galaxy database:
>
> ALTER DATABASE galaxy OWNER TO galaxy;
>
> --nate
>

>> I have reached the point where I am beating my head against a wall and
>> finally decided to ask for help. I am probably not as experienced as a
pure
>> compSci person but i have been hacking python/bash/perl for years.
However