Chaolin,

You guessed correctly as to why we implemented this, getting exact line counts
on very large files is a time consuming process.  You can still get an exact
line count using the Line/Word/Character count tool in the Text Manipulation
section.

If you're interested in the way it currently works, the first 1MB of a large
file is read, and a line number approximation is made from that and the
assumption that line lengths don't vary dramatically throughout the file.  It
would slow down the metadata setting, but for a personal galaxy instance you
could certainly increase that number, or disable the estimation entirely.

-Dannon