Hi Ben,

Adding a GBrowse server to a Galaxy instance is done loosely in two halves: 1.)
sending data from Galaxy to GBrowse and 2.) getting data into Galaxy from
GBrowse.

1.) sending data to GBrowse
You look to be on the right track for this from your previous comments. Just
make sure that the dataset you are trying to send to GBrowse has the "dbkey"
set to one of the values (e.g. "specie")  that you specified in
gbrowse_build_sites.txt

2.) To send data to Galaxy from your GBrowse instance, you will need to add a
new tool xml (usually under the "Get Data" section). To start, you can take the
file "GALAXY_ROOT/tools/data_source/fly_modencode.xml" and make a copy of it.
In the copy, you can change the values (at the top) to point to your specific
gbrowse instance, e.g.:
<tool name="Ben GBrowse" id="ben_gbrowse" tool_type="data_source">
    <description>server</description>
    <command interpreter="python">data_source.py $output
$__app__.config.output_size_limit</command>
    <inputs action="http://gbrowse.site/fgb2/gbrowse/organism";
check_values="false">
        <display>go to Ben GBrowse server $GALAXY_URL</display>
    </inputs>

you should also set "dbkey" to be the same as the value ("specie") that you
will want to use to send back to GBrowse and which will also be used to
uniquely represent the genome build within Galaxy.

Then you will need to add the link to the tool.xml file to Galaxy's
tool_conf.xml file, just the same as with any Galaxy tool.

Also, don't put GALAXY_URL in the universe_wsgi.ini file:
> In universe_wsgi.ini file, I try to set the GALAXY_URL :
> GALAXY_URL=http://ftp.maizesequence.org/current/mirna/ZmB73_miRNA.gff
>
> I encountered this error : "TypeError: serve() got an unexpected keyword
> argument 'GALAXY_URL' "

Please let us know if we can provide additional assistance.

Thanks for using Galaxy,

Dan