On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Nikhil Joshi
<nikhil.ashok.jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using Galaxy for a few years now and I am about to start
> creating my own repositories for the new Tool Shed.  However, I can't seem
> to find any good documentation on how to do that exactly.  Can someone point
> me in the right direction?  I need to figure out the best way to organize a
> repository, the XML format for the XML file, and any other important things
> that I might need to know?  Is there a good resource for all that?  The wiki
> has a section entitled "Create a new repository", but there is nothing in
> it.  Any help would highly appreciated.  Thanks!

Basically what I do is create a new repository, and upload a tar ball.

You can also create the new repository, then clone it with hg, make
changes and commit them, then push the changes to the Tool Shed
repository to publish them.

In terms of XML files, are you bundling one tool (which will have one
normal XML tool definition) or a set of tools (which under the old tool
shed needed a tool suite manifest XML file as well)?

In terms of directory structure, this isn't formalised (as far as I know).
I have mimicked the tools/folder/name.xml and tool-data/tool.loc.sample
convention, but equally I believe that putting everything at the top level
is OK.

Note if your tool uses a loc file for a set of locally configurable options
(e.g. a list of database files), you will need to provide a sample loc file.
This is used for the tool mock up shown in the new Tool Shed (under
the oddly named section "Repository metadata"). I found this out just
recently.