Joseph Hargitai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> built a new server today to test a few things.
>
> a, Help is not clickable via Apache2 proxy
>
> 2, when you use an apache2 proxy is it for granted that local authentication
> cannot be used? I tired
> remote-user = False
>
> hoping i can use load-balancing and proxy but retain local authentication.
> But User remains unclickable.

Hi Joe,

Both Help and User are not direct links, but hovering over this text
should activate a popup menu.  If this is not the case it's possible
that the appropriate javascript is not loading.

By local authentication, do you mean Galaxy's internal authentication,
or your site's local authentication system?  You can use Galaxy behind a
proxy without using your site's authentication, even if Apache is
configured to authenticate users.  By setting:

    use_remote_user = False

(the default), Galaxy will ignore any authentication data (the
REMOTE_USER header) provided by Apache.  If you are trying to do the
opposite (use your site's authentication in Apache to authenticate
Galaxy users), you'll need to set use_remote_user to True.

> 3, Using Nginx
> anyone has a full nginx config script? The wiki has the snippets which I am
> not sure where to fit in nginx nomenclature - does it go in conf or virtual
> sites enabled.

The snippets include the block they go inside, so for example, the
first:

http {
    # ... other http stuff ...
    upstream galaxy_app {
        server localhost:8080;
    }
    server {
        client_max_body_size 10G;
        # ... other server stuff ...
        location / {
            proxy_pass   http://galaxy_app;
            proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-Host $host;
            proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        }
    }
}

In this case, the 'upstream' block goes inside 'http'.  'server' goes
inside 'http' and contains the 'location' block.

> I am assuming the local authentication can be done with nginx as is done on
> the cloud version. Which would be the goal.

Yes, it can.

--nate