Hey John, are you sure you don't want to use a "converted dataset" rather than
a metadata element for this. This is how we handle most types of secondary
indexes for visualization.

If you do it this way, the converter that creates the offset index is just
another tool (but registered in datatypes_conf.xml) and the index it self is
another dataset that can be accessed through the converted datasets
relationship.