Coding standards have been discussed before, but perhaps never written down.
So, here is my interpretation:

We follow PEP-8, with particular emphasis on the parts about knowing when to be
inconsistent, and readability being the ultimate goal. In addition, we make the
following specific exceptions:

Line length: comments and documentation comments should follow the 79 character
rule, other lines should be formatted for readability, recognizing the
existence of wide screens and scrollbars (sometimes a 200 character line is
more readable, though rarely).

Spacing: whitespace around operators and inside parentheses et al. is okay,
particularly if it helps readability. We are widely inconsistent on this, if
the thing inside the parentheses is short (a single word) often spaces are
extraneous, if it is a complex expression, spacing helps to delineate different
parts.

Blank lines: also subjective, the size of the class, number of methods, size of
methods, et cetera all influence what sort of spacing is most readable.

This subjectivity makes it very hard to run a systematic check for spacing and
line length deviations. The more obvious things like tabs used for indentation
are bugs.